Ten of the best Welsh football matches in 2021


Despite three months at the start of the year without any Welsh football, and still three months before any football below the top level, 2021 has seen more than its fair share of action-packed games.

From cup upheavals to league makers, here are some of the best games of the past 12 months.

Cascade Youth Club 5 -3 Talycopa – Adran Sud – December 12

Adran South’s final matchday before the Christmas break saw Cascade second, second behind Talycopa, who had won just one game in their championship campaign. Despite their form, however, Talycopa put Cascade to work to score points in an eight-goal thriller.

An early brace from Analleise Lewis got Cascade off to a good start, before Bronwyn Ridd pulled one off, the first goal of her hat trick. Abbie Davies netted a brace herself, with another Ridd goal sandwiched in between before Lewis completed his hat trick with two minutes remaining. Ridd added his third at the last minute, but the deficit was too big to make up.

Cardiff Metropolitan University 1-2 Swansea City – Adran Premier – September 5th

The clashes between Cardiff Met and Swansea City are always eagerly awaited, and it was the best possible choice for the opening game of the all-new Adran Premier.

CARDIFF, WALES – September 5, 2021: Stacey John-Davis of Swansea City celebrates scoring her team’s first goal. Cardiff Metropolitan University v Swansea City in the Genero Adran Premier at Cyncoed Campus on September 5, 2021. (Photo by Lewis Mitchell / FAW)

The home side took an early lead thanks to Emily Allen, and held the lead until half-time. However, that didn’t last long in the second half, when winger Stacey John-Davis scored a superb equalizer. Just as the game looked like it was about to end, Swansea was awarded a penalty with less than 90 seconds left, which was duly converted by Shaunna Jenkins.

Airbus UK Broughton 2-2 Guilsfield – Cymru North – November 19

Newly relegated Airbus hosted an undefeated Guilsfield team in this high-profile clash in North Cymru.

George Peers opened the scoring for Airbus in the first half hour, before Ollie Lancely added a second at the start of the second half. Five minutes later, longtime Guilsfield midfielder Andy Ford received his marching orders for a late tackle, and Airbus must have thought the result was guaranteed. Guilsfield, however, didn’t give up there.

With 20 minutes remaining, the talismanic Greg Draper scored his fourth goal of the season to restore hope to Guilsfield. With just three minutes to go, Draper scored his team’s second goal with a deflected shot, to score a point that could still prove vital in the title race.

Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant 3-5 Saltney Town – Welsh Cup – September 4th

While the controversial Welsh Cup ranking process resulted in less upheaval than would have been hoped for, third tier Saltney scored a stunning away victory over Cymru North side Llanrhaeadr with the majority of action in the last half hour.

Llanrhaeadr’s Tom Gale scored the lone goal in the first half, but Tom Booth equalized ten minutes into the second half. With 20 minutes remaining, Saltney’s Ryan McCrely converted on the spot, and Jordan O’Brien got Saltney’s third, to give them what appeared to be a comfortable 3-1 lead. However, two own goals in as many minutes, coming from Stephen Chiocchi and Jake Roberts, made it 3-3, and a shootout seemed inevitable.

However, Saltney did not give up easily and two spectacular stoppage goals secured his passage to the next round. Ryan McCleary’s second goal of the game came a minute into added time, before Chiocchi made amends for his first home goal to secure the victory for his team.

Saltney went on to beat another Cymru North team at Penrhyncoch, before being beaten by Aberystwyth on penalties in the fourth round.

British ferry Llansawel 3-4 Llantwit Major – Cymru South – November 19

Both sides entered the game in good form, with Llantwit losing just two league games all season, while hosts British Ferry were unbeaten in ten. Almost 500 people were on hand at Old Road to watch the seven-goal thriller.

The home side got off to a good start with Tyler Brock and Alex Gammond giving them a two-goal cushion in the first fifteen minutes. Llantwit Major’s Tom Walters saw his penalty kick stopped by McFenton, although the forward made amends by scoring ten minutes later. Brock restored the home side’s two-goal advantage with another tap-in, only for the deficit reduced again by Lee Jones on the stroke of halftime.

Llantwit Major finally equalized on the hour mark, Josh Jones beating Connah McFenton before rolling the ball into an empty net. Luke Bowen thought he had restored Briton Ferry’s lead, only to be belied by the linesman’s flag. Tom Walters continued his fit run into the last minute with a superb free kick, which sparked scenes of jubilation for Llantwit’s traveling support.

Wrexham 5-3 Llandudno – Adran Nord – December 12

Adran North have seen plenty of high-scoring deals this season, although the majority of them have been extremely one-sided. This game was far from a one-sided game, however, as Wrexham handed Llandudno their first loss of the season.

After a Rosie Hughes’ Wrexham opener, Llandudno immediately retaliated via Sioned Phillips, before India Hassall and Maddie Williams each scored one goal to give the opposing team a healthy 3 lead. -1 at the break.

Wrexham left him late to organize his return, but once he got there it was full. Libby Mackenzie slashed the score in the 67th minute, before Tonicha Dickens evened the score with just nine minutes remaining. Hughes added her second to put her team ahead in the dying seconds of regulation time, before Rebecca Pritchard took the win in stoppage time.

Connah’s Quay Nomads 6-3 Airbus UK Broughton – Nathaniel MG Cup – September 21

Top-flight Airbus nearly caused trouble for the struggling Nomads, who were saved by a hat-trick from Jamie Insall. Connah’s Quay, who are the defending Nathaniel MG Cup champions, appeared to wrap up the result in just 15 minutes, thanks to two goals from Insall and another from Declan Poole. However, Airbus did not fall without a fight, and they themselves scored three goals in eleven minutes to tie the game at half-time.

The Nomads were saved in the final 25 minutes, however, with George Horan and Byron Harrison scoring on either side of Insall’s third. The Nomads have since beaten Holywell and Bala to secure their place in the MG Cup final in February.

Flint Town 3-4 Caernarfon Town – Cymru Premier – December 21st

The last game before the sports crowd ban took effect certainly did not disappoint the 453 who were present at Essity Stadium. With Caernarfon struggling to finish in the top six and Flint hoping to regain second place in the standings, both teams had plenty to play with, and the 12 cards dealt showed it.

A goal each from Mike Hayes and Rob Hughes in the span of two minutes gave the Cofis a 2-0 lead, although it didn’t take long for Dan Roberts to pull one off for Flint with a strike in. a corner. Noah Edwards scored a superb long-range strike to regain his team’s two-goal advantage, and Dion Donohue went on to score his first goal for Caernarfon on the spot after Mike Hayes was deemed tripped.

Despite a 4-1 lead at halftime, Caernarfon looked set to lose the advantage in the final half hour. Aaron Simpson was sent off for a nasty foul on former Cofi Jack Kenny, and Flint used the man advantage to boost himself. At a spot almost identical to where Hayes was fouled in the first half, Bratley was fouled this time around, and Mark Cadwallader made no mistakes on the spot. He scored his second goal two minutes later, but Flint failed to find the elusive fourth goal, and the opposing team came back west with all three points.

The New Saints 1-4 Connah’s Quay Nomads – Cymru Premier – April 24

With both sides neck and neck at the top of the table, this was always going to be one of the biggest games of the season, although few people would have expected the Nomads to tear up their opponents the way they have. do.

Michael Wilde’s hat-trick – his first in two-and-a-half years – ensured the result was more or less guaranteed by the halftime whistle, despite Ryan Brobbel’s superb solo effort for the Saints. Insall added a fourth for the Nomads on the hour mark, and to make matters worse for TNS, Greg Draper saw a bad penalty saved well by Oliver Byrne.

Caernarfon, WALES – MAY 29, 2021: Caernarfon Town v Newtown in the JD Cymru Premier European Qualifiers final at the Oval on May 29, 2021. (Photo by Lewis Mitchell / FAW)

Caernarfon Town 3-5 Newtown – Cymru Premier – May 29

This eight-goal thriller was the perfect way to mark the climax of one of the strangest Welsh top-flight seasons in recent memory. Although they only won one game after the split, the Cofis found themselves just 90 minutes away from European football. The only obstacle in their path was Newtown, who, despite missing out on a top-six spot after a poor start to the season, had been on fire since the split, losing just two games.

Although the game was officially played behind closed doors, Cofi fans lined up the fences and walls surrounding the stadium to support their team.

Caernarfon struck first thanks to Jack Kenny, who lifted the ball over rushing Dave Jones. However, the game changed in the last five minutes of the first half. Lifumpa Mwandwe was fouled by Lewis Brass in the penalty area and Rushton duly converted. Mwandwe was then himself on the scoresheet after a Brass save fell directly on the Zambian.

However, there were still a lot of twists to come in this game. Darren Thomas equalized for his team with a powerful strike after Newtown failed to clear, and he added his second fifteen minutes later, finishing a quick counterattack to restore his team’s advantage with just fifteen. minutes to play.

Newtown still had a few cards up his sleeve, bringing in James Davies and former Cofi Jamie Breese, the first having an instant impact, returning home after Craig Williams’ free kick. The lead changed for the fourth time when Davies added his second, joining Mwandwe to complete a counterattack. The other replacement, Breese, took the victory over his former side with a tap-in in the dying minutes, ending one of the most incredible games in the history of the Welsh top-flight.

(Featured Image: Will Cheshire)


About Author

Comments are closed.