Cop injured in chaotic scenes in crucial football play-off final


Football fans at a Leicestershire club have been sentenced for their role in actions that saw a police officer injured in chaotic scenes at a crucial promotion play-off on Bank Holiday Monday. Investigations into the disorder are ongoing.

Chaos marred what was a crucial tie between Peterborough Sports and Coalville Town on Bank Holiday Monday, with the winner due to be promoted to the National League. However, tensions between the pockets of the two rival groups of supporters appeared to boil over at half-time, with police facing outbreaks of public unrest in the stands.

A police officer was injured during the melee. Police and the two teams involved have since convicted those responsible.

READ MORE:Neighbors speak of their shock after a woman was killed by a fire in her home

The crucial match, which took place at the Lincoln Road ground in Peterborough, saw a group of 30 supporters of both teams involved in clashes from the touchline. Social media footage appears to show opposing fans throwing objects at each other before the disruption and mayhem spread.

Cambridgeshire Police officers were then called in to try to end the disruption, which caused the second half of the game to be delayed. Peterborough Sports won the game 2-0 to secure promotion to the Vanarama National League North.

In a statement, police confirmed an officer was injured during the Bank Holiday Monday scenes.

“We were called on Monday with reports of a disorder at Peterborough Football Club on Lincoln Road involving approximately 30 football fans supporting both teams. Officers were present, and one officer was injured, although they are not believed to have sustained serious injuries.”

Coalville Town chairman Glyn Rennocks said: “It’s very, very disappointing on what should have been a magical day for the club and it’s disappointing that it happened. It’s unacceptable, it’s not It’s not what we want to see in any football game and it’s something Coalville doesn’t want to be associated with.

“We will do everything we can to help the police if we are needed.”

The mess was also denounced by Peterborough Sports chairman Grant Biddle. In a statement, he said the club were disappointed with the minority who caused the problems.

“We are obviously disappointed that some of the actions of a small minority of the crowd tarnished some of the shine of the victory. The police acted quickly to control the clash at half time and luckily we were able to resume play. We will liaise with the police for future big games as we did before [this] gambling to reduce the risk of recurrence.

The disorder was so severe that Cambridgeshire Police confirmed they issued a dispersal order in and around the pitch for several hours after the match had ended. Despite the chaotic scenes, they added that no arrests had been made but were calling on people to help their investigations.

“A section 34 dispersal order was in place until 10 p.m. that evening, allowing Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and police officers to order a person to leave the area under the order if they have reasonable grounds to suspect that their behavior has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to members of the public,” a doorman said. -word of strength.

“Failure to comply with the order may result in arrest. No arrests have been made, but an investigation into the violent disturbances has been opened, and anyone with information is urged to contact police.

Anyone with information about the Bank Holiday Monday disorder should call Cambridgeshire Police on 101, quoting crime reference 35/30584/22. Otherwise, report a crime in line.


About Author

Comments are closed.